Best Fertilizer for Sunflowers
Because of their “sunny disposition,” sunflowers have become a very popular choice for many summer gardens. Moreover, they are easy to grow, making them perfect for beginner gardeners.
The most difficult part in growing sunflowers is to choose what fertilizer to use because there are many varieties to choose from. Before choosing the best fertilizer for sunflowers, you should first learn how to use these products to help your sunflowers grow.
Sunflowers are quite easy to grow and are only affected by some types of pests. They rarely need further fertilizing during the growing season. You might not even need to give anything more than just water during this season if you have loamy and rich soil.
Easy as sunflowers are to raise, you still have to know how to fertilize these plants correctly. For instance, if you apply too much nitrogen to annual sunflowers, this will make them grow very tall with plenty of foliage but few flowers.
But there are perennial varieties of sunflowers that will benefit from regular fertilization. This means that you should know the fertility level of your soil and the nutritional needs of the sunflower variety you will grow before applying fertilizer.
If you have a garden bed amended with plenty of organic materials, you might not have to apply fertilizer to raise healthy sunflowers with plenty of blooms. First, you must observe.
If you see that your sunflower plants lack nutrients, then you should apply a small amount of slow-release granular fertilizer to your plants’ root zones. Water the area around the base of your plants plant soon after applying the fertilizer to bring the nutrients to the roots.
Top 5 Fertilizers for Sunflowers
#1. Miracle-Gro Performance Organics All Purpose Plant Nutrition Granules
Miracle-Gro Performance Organics All Purpose Plant Nutrition Granules will give you a bountiful harvest of organic flowers, herbs, and vegetables. You will already start to see the effects after just a few days. the cap comes with a built-in shaker applicator for more convenience to make feeding your sunflowers a lot easier. For best results, re-apply the fertilizer every 4 to 6 weeks, and don’t forget to water your flowers regularly.
- Made with all-natural, organic ingredients.
- Provides results in a matter of 7 days.
- Feeding container and in-ground plants is very easy thanks to the shaker jug.
- Suitable for flowers, vegetables, herbs, and other plants.
- Some issues with molds, especially with indoor plants.
- Tends to attract flies and other bugs.
#2. Dr. Earth Fertilizer & Soil
Dr. Earth Fertilizer & Soil has main components like alfalfa meal, fishbone meal, soft rock phosphate, mined potassium sulfate, and feather meal. It’s made from 100% natural and organic ingredients. This fertilizer works well on different types of flowers. Even if the nutrients in the fertilizer get released quickly, they will continue to supply food to your flowers for several months. This fertilizer is non-GMO and it’s safe for people and your pets.
- Feeds all kinds of rhizomes, corms, tubers, and bulbs.
- Non-GMO fertilizer that contains sewage sludge or chicken manure.
- Feeds plants for several months.
- Contains 7 different kinds of beneficial soil microbes and pro-biotic components.
- Doesn’t dissolve easily in water.
- Some customers have complained about the smell.
#3. Burpee Natural Organic All Purpose Granular Plant Food
Burpee Natural Organic All Purpose Granular Plant Food is an organic, all-purpose plant food that guarantees to keep your sunflowers growing and healthy throughout the season. Aside from the major nutrients contained in this fertilizer, it also has minor nutrients, calcium, and beneficial microbes that will keep the soil healthy. All these get released right after application and will continue to feed your plants for up to 3 months.
- All-purpose fertilizer that’s formulated to give long-lasting results.
- Suitable for flowers, container gardens, vegetables, trees, and other plants.
- Listed for organic use on OMRI.
- Enriched with beneficial microbes and calcium for outdoor and indoor plants.
- Some issues with consistency.
- Not as effective on produce.
#4. Miracle Gro Garden Pro Bloom Booster
Miracle Gro Garden Pro Bloom Booster is the perfect choice for perennials, annuals, and plants in window boxes or containers. Its high-phosphorus content promotes big blossoms and big plant growth. The fertilizer features a double-feeding action where it feeds the plant through both the leaves and the roots. It’s safe for your plants and it won’t burn when you use it directly. After application, it will work immediately, feeding your plant through the soil zone and foliage.
- Suitable for sunflowers and other blooming plants.
- Feeds plants instantly for lovely results.
- Promotes plant growth and production of big blooms.
- Prevents burning and overfeeding when used properly.
- It’s relatively expensive.
- Requires high dosages to use.
#5. Jobe’s Organics Fertilizer
Jobe’s Organics Fertilizer many advantages for organic gardening. It will improve your garden’s soil quality in the long term while increasing root mass. It promotes plant growth while helping your garden resist insects, drought, disease, and other unfavorable conditions. It delivers these long-term benefits without harmful chemicals. This fertilizer contains is a unique blend of beneficial microorganisms.
- Contains Archea, a microorganism that breaks nutrients down aggressively for quick results.
- Improves the condition of the soil and helps reduce disease and insects.
- Certified organic, which means it doesn’t contain synthetic chemicals.
- Comes in a convenient re-sealable bag.
- It has a strong smell.
There are several ways of meeting the needs of sunflower fertilizers and you have the task of choosing the fertilizer which will suit your plants best. The most popular option these days are the slow-release granular fertilizers because you can easily work them into the soil to deliver nutrients to the root zone of your plants. But at the end of the day, the choice lies with you. Any of these products is a great option. All you have to do is to make your choice.