Travel and Travel Formalities
It is easy to get to Vancouver!

There are daily direct flights to Vancouver, Canada, from many major airports around the world.

Additionally, all major US destinations have regular direct flights into Vancouver, Canada.

How to get from Vancouver International Airport (YVR) to Downtown Vancouver

Public Transport

From Vancouver International Airport you can take the Canada Line. This is Vancouver’s rapid transit rail link connecting YVR to Downtown Vancouver in 25 minutes.

The Canada Line runs every 7 minutes during peak hours and every 15 minutes during off-peak hours. They operate from approximately 05:00 AM to 01:00 AM.

You pay your fare at the ticket machines located at the stations. Fares are determined by the number of zones you travel through and the time of day.

The closest station to the Westin Bayshore Hotel is Waterfront. Please note that the hotel is located approximately 1.4km / 10 min on a bus or 20min walking distance from the Waterfront station.

For more information, please visit:


Travel time is between 20 and 45 minutes depending on traffic. Metered taxis, including wheelchair accessible vehicles, are available at taxi stands located on Level 2 of the Domestic and International arrivals area.

A trip to the city center/downtown area will amount to approximately $45 CAD, including tax but excluding gratuity. Taxis also accept credit cards.


Formalities for travelling to Canada


A person who is not a Canadian citizen needs documentation, in some cases electronic, in some cases paper, in order to enter Canada. The Government of Canada lays out the rules and requirements at its website (the responsible government department is Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada). The following notes do not replace or interpret the government’s information and are intended to mention a few issues that, in the experience of the Local Organizing Committee in Canada, sometimes need particular attention.

  • The required documentation can differ depending on whether the person enters Canada by air or by land (from the United States) or water.
  • Citizens of some countries need an electronic Travel Authority (eTA) to enter Canada by air. Citizens of many other countries need a visa.
  • The staff of some airlines check the traveller’s documentation for Canada before issuing the aircraft boarding card. This does not substitute for the document check the Canadian Border Services Agency carries out when the traveller lands in Canada.
  • A traveller who changes planes in the United States to board a flight to Canada should be aware of the visa requirements of the United States, which are separate from those of Canada. This is important also when leaving Canada with an itinerary through the United States, which would involve a second entry into the United States. International airports in the United States do not have an international transit area for transit passengers.
  • A person who is in the United States without being a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident (e.g., foreign student, foreign faculty) should be aware of the need for separate travel documentation for Canada. Such a person’s visa status in the United States may have rules about leaving and re-entering the United States.
  • Obtaining a Canadian eTA or visa is in many cases a fairly simple process. In some cases obtaining a visa is a complicated process, requiring many preparatory steps and the assembly of necessary documentation. A visa applicant should therefore allow ample time – possibly several months - for preparing the application and for the Canadian government’s processing of the application – possibly another several months.
  • The visa application for Canada requires an invitation letter in some cases. A person answering the series of questions about eligibility to apply for a visa at will see whether his/her visa application would require an invitation letter (an invitation letter, even if not required, may strengthen any application for a visa). For individuals who are members of the IAAE for 2017-19, the Local Organizing Committee in Canada can arrange an invitation letter to participate in the ICAE 2018. The contact for making such a request is



Conference Host: Secretariat: